- Conference presentation @ The Responsible AI Forum, Munich – C. Fontes, D. Carpentras, S. Mahajan, Human Digital Twins in Society 5.0 Approaches, Risks and Disruptions
- Conference presentation @ Social Simulation Conference 2023 – B. Edmonds, D. Carpentras and E. Chattoe-Brown The grand challenge of helping people agree and how we might go about collectively tackling it
- Workshop “Co-Creating the Future: Participatory Cities and Digital Governance” 11-13 September 2023, Vienna, Austria – Info
+ Conference presentation – Can collective intelligence become a form of direct democracy?
- Workshop on “Digital twins and Mechathon”, 13 September 2023, Vienna, Austria.
Past events and news
ARTICLE FOR THE HILL – AUGUST 2023
Together with other members of the ResIN project we were invited to write an article for The Hill on The vicious cycle of political polarization
ARTICLE IN THE NEW YORK TIMES – JULY 2023
Our latest paper on the connection between attitude networks and social identity was discussed in this article from the New York Times.
The article was also published on the following minor outlets
TALK – JULY 2023
- Conference presentation @ Interdisciplinary Workshop on Opinion Dynamics and Collective Decision, 12-14 July 2023, Constructor University, Bremen
BIGSSS Summer School – JULY 2023
I was glad to be selected as an expert for student supervision during the BIGSSS summer school on Democratic Debate (3-11 July, Bremen, Germany – Info). During the event I also delivered a lecture on
- Lecture – The impact of psychological measurements on models
TALKS & PRESENTATIONS IN MAY 2023
- Presentation: “Attitude networks and crowd creativity” – DSI Brown Bag Lunch – 9 May
- Panel discussion on transformations in the sciences and the ethics of reproducible science – Course on Digital Ethics and Politics – 9 May
- Presentation “The risk of the measurement approach and some ways to solve it” – at Digital Twin Workshop – 25 May
- Presentation “Analyzing Attitudes as Complex Networks – Methods and Findings” – Distinguished 4IR webinar series at the University of Johannesburg – 26 May
- Presentation “ResIN: A method for analyzing attitude networks and attitude positioning on a latent space” – at University of Lausanne – 30 May
EXPERT AT ESSA@WORK – MARCH 2023
I was honored to be invited to participate as an expert during ESSA@WORK during the Social Simulation Fest
INTERVIEW FOR RESEARCH FORTNIGHT
I got interviewed by Research Professional News on the new Digital Services Act from the European Union. You can read the article here.
KICK OFF WORKSHOP ON ABM AT UNIVERSITY OF CYPRUS
The University of Cyprus decided to start exploring Agent Based Models for research in the social sciences. Gladly, I was invited to give a talk on this topic for the first workshop.
- Carpentras, Agent-Based Modeling, 23, February, 2023
PODCAST ON OPINION DYNAMICS
I have been invited to talk to the Data Skeptic podcast on opinion dynamics. You can find the full episode here.
WORKSHOP AT SPSP 2023
Together with Adrian Lueders and Philip Warncke, we organized a workshop on ResIN at SPSP, the biggest conference in the world for Social Psychology.
- Carpentras et al., Analyzing attitudes network, 17 February 2023.
INVITED TALK AT CSSSA
I was honoured to be invited by the Computational Social Science Society of the Americas for giving a talk on how measurements affect agent-based models.
- Carpentras, A new degree of freedom in opinion dynamics: how scales completely change model’s properties, 4 Jan 2023
PRESENTATION AT THE PHILOSOPHICAL CHALLENGES OF COMPUTATIONAL SOCIAL SCIENCE
- Carpentras, The measurement crisis in the social sciences, Lausanne, 4 November, 2022
RESIN-RELATED PRESENTATIONS IN AUTUMN 2022
- Psaltis et al., “Positions in the representational field of Political Ideology of the Cyprus issue: RESIN and Two Step Cluster Analysis”, 18th Hellenic Conference for Psychological Research, October 2022, Athens, Greece
- Serra et al., “Tendenza al burnout e pandemia da COVID-19 in operatori sanitari della AOU di Sassari”, SIML, September 2022, Genova, Italy.
RESIN LECTURE AT THE BIGSSS SUMMER SCHOOL
I have been invited to deliver a lecture on ResIN at the BIGSSS Summer School on Computational Social Science
EASP and ISPP July 2022
In July I will be involved in the following conference presentations:
- Lüders et al., When even “neutral” is not neutral anymore: different polarization types in Europe, ISPP, July 2022, Athens, Greece.
- Carpentras et al., The best of two worlds: analyzing attitudes and polarization combining belief network analysis with item-response theory, ISPP, July 2022, Athens, Greece.
- Lüders et al., “Understanding Attitudes, Identities, and Emotions as Interacting Components of
Ideological Groups”, EASP, July 2022, Mannheim, Germany.
- Psaltis et al., “Positions in the representational field of Political Ideology of the Cyprus issue: RESIN and Two Step Cluster Analysis”, EASP, July 2022, Mannheim, Germany.
- Carpentras et al. “When “neutral” is not neutral anymore”, EASP, July 2022, Mannheim, Germany.
Article in the news – 19/May/2022
The full article is available here.
Experimental ABM – Social Simulation Fest – 16/May/2022
This year at the Social Simulation Fest we will discuss experiments in ABM. Join us for shaping the future of this amazing field!
ESSA@work at Social Simulation Conference – Sep/2021
Join us (virtually) for a special track on agent-based modelling at the!
ESSA@work fest edition – 18/Mar/2021
Together with the other members, we organized a special track at the Social Simulation Fest. Next step, organizing the September event in Cracow, Poland!
In the News – 27/Nov/2020
The UL Link magazine (which is circulated with the Irish Times newspaper) features an article about me and the other Marie Curie fellows. I am happy to be part of such an amazing group!
Marie Curie Competition – 29/Sep/2020
Together with more than 100 people, I enrolled for a special edition of the Falling Walls competition between holders of a Marie Skłodowska-Curie fellowship.
I was honoured to be one of the people selected for the final!
University of Limerick news – 3/Mar/2020
The University of Limerick publishes an article on the four post-docs awarded with a Marie Curie fellowship.
For some reason, in the article, you will enjoy our pretty faces as big as your computer screen!
Hosting math superstar Marco Ripà – 28/Jul/2019
A discussion with Marco Ripà (>170’000 subscribers) on my channel on maths, IQ and the concept of intelligence.
Hosting experts of social communication – 28/May/2019
Davide Dissetti, Luca Sadhaka and Matteo Flora (>20’000 subscribers) participated in a live-stream on my channel for discussing the best strategy for engaging with anti-vaxxers.
Hosting popular philosophy channels – 20/May/2019
I was honored to host on my channel three of the biggest Italian Youtubers in the field of philosophy. Specifically, Dottor SadRay, Filosofo Joe and Rick duFer (more than 10’000 visuals per video).
Host on “Ateotube” – 2/ Jun/2018
I have been invited for an interview on the channel Ateotube, an Italian channel on rationality and fact checking.
Host on “to the science and beyond” – 1/Oct/2017
I have been invited to the channel To the science and beyond (popular Italian youtube channel on scientific communication) for speaking on vaccines and fake news.
Cultura 2.0 on the news – 3/Jun/2017
My project, Cultura 2.0, was in the local and regional news for an event I organized in public high schools with the cultural association EduTube.